School of Primary, Aboriginal and Rural Health Care

Rural GP FAQ - Final year placements

What would you expect me to deliver?  I’m not a teacher. 

You do not have to teach. You provide the clinical context for students to learn. The student will come with a set of learning objectives that could reasonably be expected of a four week rural GP placement. The student will discuss their objectives with you and be advised about how they should plan their time with you.

What would you expect me to do?

For 10 sessions over four weeks you would give the student an opportunity to be part of your consultations, either in your office or in an adjoining room if available.  You would give them opportunity to conduct part or all of a consultation.  You would offer constructive feedback that will help them develop their consultation skills. You can take them on home visits, nursing home visits and ask them to spend time with Practice, Nurse, Pharmacy, and Allied Health.

How does it fit into my busy day?

Clinical teaching does not have to interrupt your schedule. The “wave” model of consultation allows an advanced student to see and present one patient to you within a standard 15-minute consultation so you lose no consulting time. What it does require is strategic planning of patient appointments (see student's handbook for further information.) Final year students have many skills and can help with many practice activities.

Where will they stay?

The Rural Clinical School will arrange accommodation for the students. There will be a range of accommodation organised for the students from nurses’ quarters (where possible) to other budget accommodation. Billeting may also be an option in some sites.

Can I ask them to help with my work?

Absolutely. These advanced level students are able to do ECGs, spirometry, research the EB, interview all patients, input computer  notes, respond to patient inquiries about their condition, do records audits, assist with home visits – and more.

Ask the student to run through their competencies, so that you can plan to use those which are most helpful in your practice.

Do I get paid?

Each teaching session attracts a $200 PIP payment from the Health Insurance Commission, so for a four-week placement you would be eligible to claim $8000. There is no payment available from The Rural Clinical School or General Practice division for these sessions.

How do I get accredited for teaching students?

There is no formal process but we request a CV and statement about teaching from prospective preceptors.

Are there any resources I can get to help my teaching, such as access to Library at UWA?

You would be provided with the 6th year GP handbook which outlines what students are expected to learn from their placement.

Preceptors will be encouraged to apply for an adjunct appointment with UWA. Clinical and adjunct appointments carry the following privileges:

  • access, subject to the Head of School’s approval, to school resources
  • UWA Campus Card and the use of the University Library on the same terms as a full-time academic staff member
  • access to opportunities for personal and professional development by way of courses offered through Organisational and Staff Development Services
  • UWA staff parking
  • eligibility for UWA category membership of the University Club; and access to UWA corporate rates for QANTAS Club membership.

To apply for an adjunct appointment you need to submit your CV to the 6th year unit coordinator who will arrange for this to be submitted to the Dean for consideration.

Do I get my QA points for them?  How many, and will you apply for them on my behalf?

Yes, you can get both RACGP and ACRRM QA/CPD points for teaching medical students.

GPs can claim 40 Category One points per triennium, for teaching medical students, by completing an ‘Educator ALM’. The form is available to GPs on the ‘my CPD’ section of the RACGP website and further information about the ALM is included in the QI and CPD handbook.

Should you wish to get 40 RACGP Category One points, RCSWA offers a flexible delivery graduate certificate in rural and remote medicine with two medical education units. Please contact Denese Playford on

ACRRM offers between 1 - 30 core points, at a rate of one point per hour.

To whom do I address problems about academics or administrative staff?

The 6th Year Rural General Practice Placements are coordinated from Kalgoorlie and any administrative queries should be addressed to Edie Nicholls. Academic issues should be discussed with the RGPP unit coordinator, Dr Keren Witcombe.

How do I get access to the PIP payment?

You will need to complete a PIP form for each student attached to your practice and send this through to the placement office in Kalgoorlie. Quarterly payments are made by the HIC to accredited practices.

I plan on taking a long overseas holiday – am I obliged to take students continuously?

No, in fact you can nominate the months when you will be available to take a student and we will work placements around your schedule.

What happens if I get sick and at short notice I have to pull out for some reason?

That will be our problem and we will make alternative arrangements for the student to be placed elsewhere.

Do I need any extra insurance or indemnity?

You need to ensure that your liability/indemnity insurance allows you to accommodate final year students in your practice.  A minimum of $10m insurance is necessary.

Can I get some advice about how to host students?

Yes. Most of the academic staff in the Rural Clinical School are rural GPs who routinely accommodate medical students in their local practice. They are well placed to advise about teaching and administrative strategies and plans.

Back to top 


School of Primary, Aboriginal and Rural Health Care

This Page

Last updated:
Thursday, 1 October, 2015 1:07 PM